In addition to an online graduate application, students need:
- An undergraduate major in French; or very strong knowledge/proficiency in French.
- A minimum of three literature courses, including an introductory course or equivalent.
- A dossier which must include:
- Two-page Letter of Intent/Statement of Purpose (in English) expressing your objectives in entering the program (educational and career goals)
- Two letters of recommendation (in English or in the target language) from people familiar with the candidate’s academic work; and
- A writing sample, in French. The Review Committee evaluates more than target language. In this French paper, you will demonstrate good analytical skills and original ideas, and include some bibliography (between 1,250 and 6,000 words; Times New Roman; font 12).
- Transcripts (one from each institution attended)
We do not require the GRE for this program.
At the discretion of the Graduate Review Committee, an entrance exam or interview may be required.