Students seeking the AAS Graduate Certificate must submit a formal application through the Office of Graduate Studies of the College of Arts and Sciences. Applications are accepted two times per year: April 15 (for fall semester) and November 15 (for spring semester).
Students apply online, using the standard online Graduate Application. GRE scores are no longer required for application and admission to AAS at GSU. Contact the Director of Graduate Studies, with any additional questions.
Graduate Certificate Application Requirements
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement of 750-1000 words
- Official Transcripts (one from each institution attended)
- Application fee
The following students are eligible:
- Students who are enrolled in an M.A. or Ph.D. program in another department or institute at Georgia State must complete an online application, but existing materials on file with the Graduate Office may be used for the application, and the application fee may be waived. Once you have filled out a new online application for the Certificate program and attached a short personal statement about why you wish to receive the Certificate, contact the AAS liaison in the Graduate Office, Kirstin Sylvester, to request that your transcripts and letters of recommendation be used for this application as well. Let her know that you are a current student and would like to request the application fee waiver.
- Students who apply solely for the Graduate Certificate in AAS must submit a complete application for the Graduate Certificate, including fees, to the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Students in the AAS M.A. degree program who are unable to complete the program, but would like to receive the Certificate, may do so if they have fulfilled the Certificate course requirements (5 AAS courses with a grade of “B” or better). These students must complete a new online application for the Certificate (rather than M.A.) program but can use the existing materials on file by following the procedure outlined above.
Students can apply two times per year:
- April 15 for fall semester
- November 15 for spring semester