Get a jump on college success!
"The Success Academy did a wonderful job providing resources and mentors to guide a pathway to my success at Georgia State. Within the first week, I sat down with my advisor, and she went into great detail about how I can still accomplish my future goals without being stressed out."
Khadijah, 2012 Success Academy participant
The Success Academy is your opportunity to get on campus early and start using the resources, meeting the people, taking the initiative and developing the skills to make the most of your college education.
Georgia State University's Success Academy gives you a unique and exciting opportunity to quickly establish yourself at Georgia State University and set yourself up for academic and interpersonal success. Through the Success Academy, you will:
- Develop strong study habits and academic skills
- Begin fulfilling degree requirements
- Increase your likelihood of attaining or maintaining the HOPE Scholarship eligibility
- Learn about a wealth of resources for support and guidance
- Make enduring friendships
Success Academy consists of programs, activities and services that work together–and with you to put you on the path to college success:
- Individualized study skills and learning-style assessments
- Academic skills workshops including time management, memory and concentration, how to read a textbook, how to talk to your professor
- Peer Mentoring
- Leadership development
- Introduction to key faculty and staff
- Individualized guidance and support from Financial Aid, Student Advisement Center, Scholarship Resource Center, and more
- Social and networking events including leadership retreat, and civic engagement opportunities
- Residential Living-Learning Community (optional)
- To view the Success Academy brochure, click here [PDF]
To be considered for the Success Academy, you must meet the following requirements.
The summer semester of the Success Academy consists of seven credit hours for all participants. Credit hours for fall semester will be determined by GPA:
- Students earning 2.5 or higher GPA in summer will take a full courseload of 13 hours in the fall and spring
- Students earning lower than 2.5 GPA will receive additional academic support, but must take less than 12 credit hours in the fall
Success in college takes commitment and engagement–both in the classroom and out–so the Success Academy asks for your full participation in a range of specific programs and activities:
- On-campus hours during summer from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm (for non-residential students)
- Mandatory attendance at selected academic and co-curricular events throughout the year
- One overnight leadership retreat
- Commitment to enroll in designated Core Curriculum classes in summer 2013, fall 2013, and spring 2014 (all Core courses will count toward your major, regardless of major)
For more information about Success Academy, click here, or consult the program's FAQ [PDF].
The deadline to participate in Georgia State Success Academy has passed.