Success Academy - PATH
This program is designed to help students who have already been accepted to Georgia State University, but who will not receive the HOPE scholarship fall semester. Success Academy is designed to help students from all majors.
What is Success Academy?
- The Success Academy is your opportunity to get on campus early and start using the resources, meeting the people, taking the initiative and developing the skills to make the most of your college education.
- The Success Academy offers you the support and guidance while at the same time inspiring you to new and exciting levels of academic achievement, extracurricular involvement, and leadership development.
- GSU’s Success Academy is one of those opportunities that come only once. The individual guidance and coordinated support you will receive are unique to the program and can help ensure your early and ongoing college success.
Overview of the Program
Success Academy consists of programs, activities and services that work together–and with you to put you on the path to college success:
- Individualized study skills and learning-style assessments
- Academic skills workshops including time management, memory and concentration, how to read a textbook, how to talk to your professor
- Peer Mentoring
- Leadership development
- Introduction to key faculty and staff
- Individualized guidance and support from Financial Aid, Student Advisement Center, Scholarship Resource Center, and more
- Social and networking events including leadership retreat, and civic engagement opportunities
- Residential Living-Learning Community (optional)
- Develop strong study habits and academic skills
- Begin fulfilling degree requirements
- Increase your likelihood of attaining or maintaining the HOPE Scholarship eligibility
- Learn about a wealth of resources for support and guidance
- Make enduring friendships
To be considered for the Success Academy, you must meet the following requirements.
Once you have applied for the program and received your Campus ID, you can fill out the GSU Housing application.
Please complete the “June-July 2012” contract. There is a $100.00 room reservation fee required immediately that will be applied to your overall cost for housing. Students participating in the Success Academy will be housed in Freshman Hall and will have the options of a Private Bedroom for $1250.00 or a Shared Bedroom $1050.00. Please indicate your participation in the Academy on the contract. You will also be required to purchase a meal plan for $600.00, which provides 3 meals per day Monday–Friday only. Students will be responsible for their own meals on the weekends.
If you plan on living off campus, please fill out an off-campus housing petition form [PDF].
Success in college takes commitment and engagement–both in the classroom and out–so the Success Academy asks for your full participation in a range of specific programs and activities:
- On-campus hours during summer from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm (for non-residential students)
- Mandatory attendance at selected academic and co-curricular events throughout the year
- One overnight leadership retreat
- Commitment to enroll in designated Core Curriculum classes in summer 2012, fall 2012, and spring 2013 (all Core courses will count toward your major, regardless of major)
For more information about Success Academy, click here, or consult the progam's FAQ [PDF].
To sign up GSU's Success Academy, click here.