From the University Senate Bylaws, Article VII. Committees:
Section 14. Committee on Commencement
- The Committee on Commencement shall be composed of the President; the Registrar; the Associate Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students; at least seven (7) faculty members, elected at large; one staff senator; and two (2) students who are also members of the University Senate. In addition, the representative of the Emeriti Association will attend as a non-voting member.
- The duties of the committee shall include the following:
- To develop a pool of speakers for commencement exercises,
- To review and make recommendations concerning commencement exercises and related activities, and
- To review and make recommendations concerning honorary degree candidates to the President. The President submits the candidates' names to the Board of Regents for final approval.
- Recommendations concerning speakers for commencement exercises may be made to the committee by members of the university faculty. Recommendations concerning honorary degree candidates may be made by any faculty member, staff member, student or alumnus.
- The committee shall elect a new chair within ten (10) working days after the election of a new committee.