The Georgia State University Police Department Pedestrian Safety Traffic Team was formed in the Spring of 2002 in conjunction with Crime Prevention and the Governors Office of Highway Safety (GOHS) to assist with traffic enforcement and pedestrian safety within the GSU campus and downtown district of Atlanta. The goal is to help and insure safety on the city streets of Atlanta to maintain a pedestrian friendly traffic environment.
The overall operation of this unit places emphasis on:
- Pedestrian Education for crosswalks
- Distribution of PEDs pamphlets
- Traffic Stops and citations for Moving Violations
- Jaywalking Citations
Pedtrian Safety Tips
- A pedestrian shall obey the instructions of any official traffic control device
- A pedestrian SHALL NOT suddenly walk in front of traffic when it is impractical for the driver to yield
- A pedestrian outside of a crosswalk shall YIELD the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway
- The driver of a vehicle shall STOP and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the roadway within a crosswalk
- Whenever a vehicle is stopped at a crosswalk, another SHALL NOT overtake or pass such stopped vehicle.