Educational Talent Search
Educational Talent Search
Talent Search is a post-secondary outreach program designed to motivate middle and high school level students to stay in school while encouraging their pursuit of post-secondary education. This program provides academic, career, financial, and personal counseling to 600 eligible participants attending eight (8) targeted schools in the DeKalb County Public School System. Talent Search exists to help eligible young men and women get into a college or vocational/technical school and earn certificates or diplomas that measurably increase their chances for successful lives. The program identifies and assists individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education. In addition to encouraging students to first graduate from secondary schools and then enroll in the post secondary school of their choice. Talent search also serves interested secondary school dropouts in DeKalb County by referring them to local agencies that specialized in assisting them in re-entering the educational system to complete their education.
- 11-27 years old
- Have a need for project services
- U.S. citizen
- Either enrolled in a targeted DeKalb County middle/high school or an interested non student (under 27) with a strong desire to renew their education
- Potential first generation college student and/or low income student status, and
- Demonstrated potential for successful college or vocational/technical study
The program provides the following services:
- Academic, financial, career, or interpersonal counseling.
- Career exploration, achievement assessment, and aptitude evaluation.
- Early awareness activities for sixth, seventh, and eighth graders.
- Workshops for the families of participants.
- Referrals to other supportive services programs as needed (i.e.: Upward Bound Math & Science, EOC, mentoring programs, tutorial services, and/or homework hotlines).
- High School and College adjustment seminars.
- Fee Waivers and assistance in preparing for college entrance exams.
- Assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications.
- Financial and Economic Planning information
- Field Trips for exposure to college campuses and for career investigations at local industries/business.
Educational Talent Search is sponsored by Georgia State University, Division of Student Services, Office of Educational Opportunity and TRIO Programs, and is funded solely by the U.S. Department of Education for a total of $1,050,258.00 over a period of (5) five years. The program also works in cooperation with local school Guidance Offices in order to provide services to eligible youth regardless of which college or post secondary school they are interested in attending.