Allison George, 404-413-4032
Georgia State Athletics
ATLANTA – The 365 student-athletes at Georgia State University have a combined cumulative grade-point average of 3.03, and for the past eight semesters grade-point averages for students in Georgia State’s 19-team athletic program have been at or above 3.0, Athletics Director Cheryl Levick has announced.
In addition, the Panthers’ graduation success rate is at 77 percent, the best in university history.
“Congratulations to our student-athletes for their outstanding performance in the classroom,” Levick said. “Our coaches, student-athlete development staff and sport supervisors also play an important role in making academic excellence a top priority. We will continue to strive for excellence.”
Levick noted that Georgia State’s average multi-year Academic Progress Rate score of 974 is well above the NCAA national average of 930.
The Academic Progress Rate is a term-by-term measure of eligibility and retention for Division I student-athletes that was developed as an early indicator of eventual graduation rates.
Eight Georgia State teams exceed the average Academic Progress Rate score for their respective sports:
• 992 Women’s Soccer (National Average = 980)
• 990 Women’s Tennis (National Average = 982)
• 988 Softball (National Average = 978)
• 981 Baseball (National Average = 965)
• 985 Men’s Golf (National Average = 973)
• 980 Men’s Soccer (National Average = 968)
• 971 Men’s Basketball (National Average = 950)
• 971 Men’s Outdoor Track (National Average = 965)
Oct. 8, 2012