External Reviewers' Report Template
External Reviewers’ Report Template
[Approved by CAP; Revised 11-29-05]
Taking into consideration the dean’s comments and focus, please respond to the following questions in your report. All sections indicated below refer to the self-study document.
1. Strengths and Weaknesses
- Evaluate the overall strengths and weaknesses of the program, referring specifically to each of the five areas in Section A.
2. Historical and Current Context
- Given the historical and current context of the department as outlined in Section B, are the programs offered and program enrollments appropriate from a disciplinary perspective?
- Are the faculty number, composition, and research productivity sufficient to support the programs offered by the department?
- Comment on the relevance of the programs, and the degree to which the department’s programs serve various needs (community, student, professional).
- Evaluate the appropriateness of the peer institutions selected by the department for comparison.
3. Progress Toward Goals and Objectives
- Taking a disciplinary perspective, evaluate the ways in which the unit has succeeded in meeting its goals and objectives since its last academic program review (Section C).
- Is its progress toward meeting its goals and objectives satisfactory?
- What are the factors that have helped or hindered the unit in its effort to meet its goals and objectives?
- Evaluate the ways in which these goals have contributed to the College and University Strategic Plans.
4. Quality of the Curriculum
- Evaluate the quality of the curriculum from a disciplinary perspective for each of the department’s programs (Section D).
- Evaluate the appropriateness of the learning outcomes and learning outcomes assessments for each of the programs.
- How have learning outcomes assessments influenced curricular modifications.
- Have these modifications been effective in improving student learning outcomes?
5. Quality of the Students
- Evaluate the quality of students, both incoming and graduated students, in the department’s programs (Section E) relative to discipline-specific norms.
- Are the quality standards appropriate?
6. Quality of the Faculty
- Evaluate the quality of the department’s faculty (Section F). Include in your discussion an evaluation of the faculty with respect to peer program faculties.
7. Resource Adequacy
- Considering each of the seven areas discussed in Section G, evaluate the adequacy of departmental resources.
8. Goals and Objectives
- Evaluate the goals and objectives that the department has outlined in Section H for the next review cycle.
- Are the goals and objectives appropriate for the unit?
- Are they in accord with disciplinary trends?
- Are the priorities reasonable?
- Are any changes warranted?