Transient (visiting) students are those who are enrolled at another regionally accredited college or university in the United States and intend to apply their Georgia State credits to a degree from their home institution. Transient students can only attend one fall or one spring semester. However, students may apply to attend unlimited summer semesters.
Step-By-Step application Process
- Submit a Georgia State Undergraduate Application electronically or download the printable PDF and submit your application in person.
- Submit a $60.00 non-refundable application fee.
- Submit an official statement from the appropriate academic official at your home institution granting permission to enroll at Georgia State University for the term of application. Official statement must come in a sealed envelope or come directly from the home institution. Faxed or unsealed copies are not acceptable.
- Be eligible to return to their home institution
- Have permission from their home institution to attend Georgia State University
Note: If you have attended Georgia State before as a transient student and wish to return again as a transient student, you MUST apply as a re-entry student and submit an updated statement of permission.
Note: If you wish to change your status to a transfer student after attending as a transient student, you MUST file a new application for Undergraduate Admissions and submit a new $60.00 non-refundable application fee.
- Fall Semester: July 1
- Spring Semester: December 1
- Summer Semester: April 1
Deadlines are subject to change. Any application received after the deadline will be processed for the next available term.
Summer Deadline Extension: The April 1 summer application deadline has passed, but we will continue to accept applications and admit students as space is available. Click here to apply to Georgia State University.
Is your home institution an ARCHE member college or university? Cross registration provides students enrolled at any ARCHE member institution the opportunity to broaden their range of study and academic experience by attending courses offered by other ARCHE institutions.
If you register for a course through cross registration, you are considered a visiting student at Georgia State University. Cross Registration Applications are available from your home institution’s cross registration coordinator or registrar. Check with your cross registration coordinator for the deadline at your home institution.
Accepted Transient Students:
- View the Next Steps for Accepted Students webpage.
- Visiting students should be prepared to provide a personal copy of a transcript that documents completion of any required prerequisites for Georgia State courses.
- Financial aid is not typically available for transient students. Please contact your home institution to inquire about receiving financial aid while attending Georgia State University.
Establishing Georgia Residency
- For the purpose of establishing Georgia residency for tuition and fee payment, your legal residence is your permanent home.
- You must live in Georgia, but also intend to remain in Georgia indefinitely.
- The durational requirements for Georgia residence under the Board of Regent’s regulation is 12 months before the semester for which you intend to enroll.
- If you entered Georgia to attend an educational institution, the time in school is not normally counted towards the 12-month residence requirement.
Please contact the One Stop Shop if you have further questions
One Stop Shop office: 404-413-2600
One Stop Shop e-mail: email@example.com
Residency e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org